Hey everyone! I’m back with another post. I’m thinking of turning it into a series! Here is my debut:
I N T R O:
Many times we blindly eat a variety of foods without knowing their impact. Some of us believe that the only way to eat healthy is by consuming never-heard of, foreign, expensive foods. With all the labels and marketing strategies, it’s difficult to figure out what is the best thing to choose.
Well, we often forget about what comes directly from nature – not it’s packaged, dehydrated, or frozen parts…
But it’s purest form.
And sometimes the best fruits grow right in your backyard or can be picked up at your local market’s fresh foods section. Opt for the sun kissed apples, plump blueberries, or the tart raspberries. The juicy oranges or the crisp strawberries. Get back in touch with nature.
And that’s why you’re here today – to explore the healthy benefits all sorts of ‘regular’ fruits have to offer.
SUPER-FRUIT 1: T H E G R A P E F R U I T
10 Health Benefits and Facts:
- Grapefruit is around 92% water, and can help you stay hydrated. Studies show that around 20% of our fluid intake comes from foods, and our bodies need liquids – mainly water – to function. So go after the grapefruit!
- A whole grapefruit contains around around 52% of the recommended daily amount of Vitamin A, and 119% for Vitamin C! (Don’t worry, 119% is only around 71.8 mg of Vitamin C, and the recommended amount a day is between 65 to 90 mg. No harm there!)
- The red and pink grapefruits have the most nutritional value (though all grapefruit is packed with goodness.) The pink and red colored ones have higher antioxidant levels than other colors. The redder the better!
- Since grapefruit contains so much fiber, it can help you feel fuller longer. One grapefruit contains 3.7 grams of dietary fiber – 14% of the daily recommended value.
- Grapefruits contain bioflavonoids and other plant chemicals that are helpful in reducing the risk of heart disease or cancer. It’s helpful in treating/protecting the body against many diseases/disorders.
*All percentages are based on a 2000 calories diet.
A L S O: Check out this really great article I found on grapefruits if you want to learn even more: 13 Wonderful Benefits of Grapefruit – OrganicFacts.net
◊◊Everything in M O D E R A T I O N: Be aware, though, that grapefruit does contain an enzyme/natural chemicals that can inhibit the breaking down of certain medications in the body. Be careful when eating it with allergy medications, like Claritin. Eat a moderate amount – too much of anything is never good. And because the fruit is so acidic, it can wear down tooth enamel. Just be smart with how much you eat/drink!
~ ~ ~
In the morning, cut the fruit in half, slice the insides so they’re easy to dig out, and sprinkle some sugar on top to reduce the bitterness. I personally do this, and often eat it as part of breakfast!
A R O U N D T H E W E B:
1. Grapefruit Yogurt Cake from “Life is but a Dish”
**You can find many different recipes like this online – there are lots of variations that will suit almost any palette.
3. Strawberry Grapefruit Smoothie from “Martha Stewart”
4. Grapefruit, Avocado, and Salmon Salad with Poblano Lime Dressing by “Wild Greens & Sardines”
**Grapefruits are delicious in almost any type of salad!
Well, that’s the end of my Super-fruit Series #1 – Grapefruit Edition! I hope you thoroughly enjoyed it. If you are a food blogger with grapefruit recipes, let me know and leave a link in the comments below for a feature!
What fruit should I do next? Let me know! ❤